I am a bit of a scattered free spirit. Something about yoga calms and settles me which is how the journey to know more came about.
Many of the yoga practices I have enjoyed have included our gathering the sound of Om together. I never really liked Om-ing, being self-conscious of my flat tone, so I would just sit and let everyone around me Om, even that made me feel calm and centered.
My teacher training classes take Om very seriously. This is what I have learned about the sound of Om.
- The deep breath you take before exhaling the sound is very cleansing for the blood and has been shown to stabilize blood pressure.
- Sitting up straight helps the body work muscles that ultimately support our inner organs.
- The nature of the vibrational quality of Om inspires a peaceful feeling, personally it makes me smile.
- The voices of a group of people making the sound Om together is beautiful and reverent. One afternoon I was sitting at home on the porch with our friend Theresa and we decided to Om to the sound of the rain, it was very relaxing and made us both smile.
- You will feel more energetic and centered after a few minutes of Om. The vibration moves through energizing the body and mind which is a natural benefit of breathing with intention.
Many believe Om is the sound of the creation of the universe, how lovely.
It took me a while to find a place in my pattern of acceptance for Om. Now that I have it is a resource I use regularly. How nice a free gift, Om, it just is.