I have had behavior behind the wheel of a car that could have ended in injury for me or others because I get angry in South Florida's traffic congestion and confusion.
Four years ago I confronted my driving aggression and these are the tips I use to get to and from work every day. My commute is twenty minutes each way. There is wisdom and intention in my driving now, everyone should feel better when I am on the road. I know I feel better.
Prescription for calm driving
- I start my trip with the intention that I will arrive at my destination calm.
- Play soothing music
- Know that today is not my day to teach the other person a driving lesson
- Be patient with the driver that cut me off it is likely from his seat I don’t exist
- Respond don't react to situations that inevitably come up
- Stay in the slow or middle lanes
- Set my cruise control to the speed of the lane I am in
- Consider, I could be the problem
- And if all fails stay home