This is an exciting time of year for gardeners. The transition from store bought tomatoes with average or below average flavor, fresh radishes, crisp greens with no pesticides, aromatic spices, home grown goodness, yum!
It was surprising to learn 42 million households in America have some sort of garden.
There has been a garden in my life for as long as I can remember. Mom is a gardener, we had gardens in every state we lived in when I was a kid, Grandpa always had an amazing garden at his home in New Jersey, over the years I have had large gardens, raised bed gardens, and just pots of veggies on a patio, or spices on a window sill as my living space would allow.
Here in Florida the seasons are a bit backward. Our vegetable season is pretty much over in April as it is too hot and wet here for most vegetables during the summer. While the gardeners to our north are getting ready to start their season here are some of the reasons we love to garden.
Benefits of gardening:
1. The exercise helps you burn 250 calories each hour
2. Working in the sun boosts your mood
3. Gardening “has been shown to help prevent dementia in seniors”
4. Facilitates relaxation and stress reduction called horticultural therapy
5. Builds bones and joint flexibility
6. Gives a wonderful sense of accomplishment
7. Including others in our gardening strengthens our sense of family and community
8. Improves the quality of sleep
9. Improves strength and endurance
10. Eating home grown foods are more nutritious